The American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD) seeks applicants for the position of Editor-in-Chief of its peer-reviewed journal, American Journal on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AJIDD), for a term of four years that shall begin in mid-2014. The first issue under the direction of this editor is expected to be January 2015.
First published in 1896, AJIDD is among the top-ranked, peer-reviewed, multidisciplinary publications reporting current and critical research in the biological, behavioral, and educational sciences. AJIDD contains high-quality, original contributions to the literature on intellectual disability, its causes, treatment, and prevention. AAIDD publishes the journal bimonthly (January, March, May, July, September, and November).
AJIDD is distinct from AAIDD’s other multidisciplinary peer-reviewed journals, Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD) and Inclusion. IDD focuses on the application of emerging policies, innovative practices, and transformative concepts, and Inclusion presents and discusses evidence-based interventions and strategies that promote the full inclusion of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities in society.
Qualifications and Responsibilities
Qualifications for the position are an established record of scholarship in the disabilities field, managerial skills necessary to oversee the editorial cycle, and the ability to attract and retain respected experts to the editorial advisory board.
The major responsibilities of the Editor of AJIDD include:
- Overseeing the peer review of approximately 100 manuscripts per year;
- Soliciting high-quality manuscripts from potential authors, deciding which manuscripts to publish, and assisting authors advance their manuscripts to publication;
- Selecting a sufficient pool of competent reviewers to reach conclusions and make decisions on manuscripts in a timely fashion;
- Identifying and appointing qualified members to an editorial advisory board; and
- Providing a clear vision for the direction of the journal.
Applicants must have clear employer or institutional support for this activity for the duration of their appointment, including release time and general office support. AAIDD does not pay for office space or release time, but can provide basic financial support for the AJIDD Editor, which may include funds for clerical assistance, office supplies, postage, and telephone beyond what will be provided by the Editor’s home institution. Since the support offered by different institutions varies widely, interested individuals are encouraged to contact the appropriate office of their employer in order to ensure the feasibility of your application.
Interested individuals should prepare and submit an application via email. The application must include:
- Letter of Application that describes your qualifications for the role of Editor of AJIDD, such as past experience as an editor or member of an editorial team, history of scholarship in the field, and demonstrated capacity to manage deadlines and to attract and retain contributors to projects.
- Vision Statement that provides a clear description of your vision for AJIDD under your leadership. Set forth your goals and plans for the content of the Journal, with an assessment of the current strengths, weaknesses, or gaps that you plan to address and how you will operationalize your plan.
- Vita or Resume that accurately portrays your experience, indicates your current affiliations, and lists your current contact information.
- Evidence of Institutional Support, which may be a letter of support or other documentation from your employer that describes the level of support (release time and general office support) available should you be selected for the position.
Applications will be reviewed by the Search Committee immediately after the submission deadline. Interviews will be conducted by phone and the selected candidate will be expected to disclose any potential conflicts of interest prior to appointment and annually thereafter throughout his or her term of service.
Applications will be accepted via email only. Send application packets to Margaret Nygren, EdD, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 13, 2013. See the posting in the AAIDD Career Center
See a pdf of the AJIDD Editor Search announcement