AAIDD Strategic Plan
AAIDD utilizes an annual strategic planning process that results in a brief statement of its goals, objectives, and planned strategies.
Text Version (approved by the Board of Directors 8/14/18)
Major Objectives and Key Strategies for 2018-2019
- Advance progressive policies, sound research, and effective practices that result in social justice and universal human rights with through collaborations with other organizations.
- Engage in strategic alliances with other organizations to influence policy, promote public awareness, shape public attitudes, and expand the participation and access of people with intellectual disability in all aspects of life.
- Increase awareness among policy makers and the general public on issues and policies that are important to people with developmental and intellectual disabilities and their families.
- Provide information and expertise on intellectual and developmental disabilities to jurists and others in the criminal justice system.
- Generate review, revise, and disseminate essential position statements.
- Lead efforts to expand and improve research, policy, and practice to improve the quality of life of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Disseminate information on progressive policies, sound research, effective practices, and universal human rights.
- Advance the field of intellectual and developmental disabilities and promote AAIDD’s core values by publishing cutting-edge journals, books, and other products.
- Increase access of providers, policy makers, and others—nationally and internationally—to evidence-based information and resources that promote effective practices.
- Develop and support a diverse membership.
- Engage students and early career professionals in the Association’s activities.
- Provide educational opportunities that support members’ professional development.
- Engage Fellows and other members in leadership activities
- Provide leadership opportunities within the Association.
- Engage prospective members from diverse communities.
- Maintain the organization’s robust operations.
- Develop and utilize effective communication, dissemination, and marketing strategies and platforms for Association activities.
- Provide a highly-valued package of member benefits.
- Ensure appropriate resources to achieve organizational goals.
- Review and improve organizational structures to support the Association’s membership and mission.
- Develop and implement a planning process to create active communities within the Association that engage members in the goals of AAIDD.