AAIDD Strategic Plan
AAIDD utilizes an annual strategic planning process that results in a brief statement of its goals, objectives, and planned strategies.
Text Version (approved by the Board of Directors 8/29/16)
Five Year Priorities
- Increase number and diversity of our members.
- Maintain a surplus budget.
- Achieve increased utilization of AAIDD products across states and countries.
- Produce new revenue generating products.
Major Objectives and Key Strategies for 2016-2017
1. Develop and support members’ leadership capacities.
- Engage students and early career professionals in SECP SIG activities.
- Provide educational opportunities that support members’ professional development.
- Engage Fellows and other members in leadership activities.
- Provide leadership opportunities within the Association.
- Engage prospective members.
2. Disseminate information on progressive policies, sound research, effective practices, and universal human rights.
- Publish journals, books, and other products that advance the field of intellectual and developmental disabilities and promote AAIDD’s core values.
- Increase access of providers, policy makers, and others to evidence-based information and resources that promote effective practices.
3. Collaborate with other organizations to advance a social justice and universal human rights agendas, progressive policies, sound research, and effective practices.
- Engage in strategic alliances with other organizations to influence policy, promote public awareness, shape public attitudes, and expand the participation and access of people with intellectual disabilities in all aspects of life.
- Increase awareness among policy makers and the general public on issues and policies that are important to people with developmental and intellectual disabilities and their families.
- Provide information and expertise on intellectual and developmental disabilities to jurists and others in the criminal justice system.
- Generate, review, revise, and disseminate essential position statements.
- Lead efforts to expand and improve research funding to improve the quality of life of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
4. Sustain the organization’s operations.
- Develop and utilize effective communication, dissemination, and marketing strategies and platforms for Association activities.
- Provide a highly-valued package of member benefits.
- Ensure appropriate resources to achieve organizational goals.
- Review and improve organizational structures to support the Association’s membership and mission.
- Develop and implement a planning process to create active communities within the Association that engage members in the goals of AAIDD.