The AAIDD Constitution and Bylaws provide that:
Fellows shall be individuals who have had at least seven years of continuous, active membership in the Association at the time of their nomination. Fellows shall have participated in the professional and business affairs of the Association, and shall have made a meritorious contribution to the field of intellectual disability in one or more of the following areas:
- Contributions to program development or administration and the improvement of services for people with intellectual disability
- Contributions that benefit people with intellectual disability through skillful and diligent advocacy
- Contributions to the field of intellectual disability through academic achievements, research, publications, and presentation of professional papers
AAIDD Fellows in Good Standing (2016-2017)
Proceedures for Rating Nominees for Fellow Status
A number of principles guided the development of these procedures and rating form. These guidelines inform the Committee's recommendations for Fellow status; however, in exceptional cases, either the Awards and Fellowship Committee or the Board can over-ride the guidelines.
- The guidelines operationalize the by-laws on the topic of Fellows.
- The application form and supplemental materials are designed to allow, insofar as possible, for an objective evaluation of the member's qualifications to become a Fellow.
The evaluation form consists of parallel ratings of the contributions made to the professional and business affairs of the Association (left column) and to the field of intellectual disability (right column). The definitions for "contributions" to each domain are based directly on the wording in the by-laws, and appear as footnotes to the rating form.
- Recognizing that the by-laws require that fellows shall have made contributions to both the Association and to the field of intellectual disability, the scoring system is structured so that that meritorious contributions to both are needed to reach a score of 80, which the minimum score for consideration by the Committee.
Fellows of the Association shall be in support of the mission and values of AAIDD. If a Fellow is found to have breached the AAIDD code of professional conduct, the designation of Fellow status may be revoked with a two-thirds vote of the Board of Directors.
If you are interested in applying, please complete the application form below and send it by October 31, 2016:
The application process for 2017 is now closed.
All material submitted is subject to review by references as well as authorities in the fields claimed for meritorious contribution.
For questions about the application process, contact: email@example.com