BECOMING INDEPENDENT JOB DESCRIPTION
POSITION: Chief of Operations
SUPERVISES: Admin/Operations Staff
SUPERVISED BY: Chief Executive Officer
Overview of General Scope of Position
Under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Chief of Operations is responsible for the overall functioning of Becoming Independent’s (BI) key operations teams which include; Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology and Facilities. In partnership with the CEO, this role will execute the strategic plan and priorities of the organization, optimize future growth, and develop innovative approaches to support an ever-increasing demand for high-quality services for people with disabilities.
This role translates vision, mission and strategy into operational tactics building organizational commitment and infrastructure. The organization will anticipate this role providing leadership and oversight to the directors/managers within each program to ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of the operations, achievement of key performance goals/targets, and ensuring that financial budgets/outlooks and customer satisfaction either meet or exceed expectations.
BI has an authentic and established culture, with an employee relations philosophy recognizing that our employees are our most valuable assets. BI provides a healthy and positive work environment, illuminating clear channels through which each individual can feel included and connected. The Chief of Operations will play a critical role in talent recruitment, performance management, employee relations, and organizational development. In addition, the Chief of Operations will provide leadership and support to program directors/managers with regard to staff supervision and the development and sustainability of positive employee relations, workflows and overall culture. These core components will allow BI to remain competitive in the workforce market enabling the organization to continue to provide excellent services to our participants focusing on employment, education, and independent living.
Another significant component of this role will be to lead BI’s current finance team with the skills and strategic mindset that will be necessary to foster an ever growing, evolving and at-times complicated financial landscape. As BI continues to strive to diversify its revenue portfolio, reducing its reliance on government funding, this role will be relied upon to guide strategic financial planning and execution.
The Chief of Operations will be a prominent leader both within BI and the community that supports the organization and its purpose. The ability to authentically connect with varying and diverse customer groups will be critical to the success of this role and the organization as a whole.
CRITICAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Act as a BI ambassador for all events and community partners engagements
- Assist the CEO in communicating policies, procedures, objectives, accomplishments, and general information to staff and the public
- Ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations, and agency policies and procedures
- Oversee all day to day tactical administrative activities, systems and processes
- Hire, supervise, and evaluate operations teams.
- Evaluate and ensure agency compliance with staff evaluation procedures and timelines
- Provide guidance and support to all management staff for employee relations, performance management, and organizational culture
- Design and implement career path and succession planning objectives
- Actively pursues new and innovative staff recruitment and retention opportunities, focusing on overall employee experience and development
- Oversee all training and professional development opportunities for staff
- Lead and foster an organizational culture that engages all team members
- Ensure financial practices are efficient and align with agency’s fiscal needs.
- Oversee annual audit and budget process
- Manage financial expenditures to ensure efficiency in administration and optimum functioning of all administrative support services.
- Develop and monitor proposals for funding, business, and service development, in coordination with CEO and Senior Management.
- Provide input and direction in support of strategic business priorities and goals
- Payroll oversight for staff and persons served
FACILITIES & RISK MANAGEMENT
- Solicit, negotiate and maintain various lease spaces utilized to further BI’s program/financial goals
- Oversee and maintain the agency's facilities, equipment, and other related resources.
- Maintain Property & Liability policies and ensure state and federal compliance.
- Ensure oversight of the agency’s worker’s compensation policies and process
- Act as lead liaison for broker relationship and annual enrollments of said policies
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY/MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEMS
- Oversee the agency's IT and computer systems, telephone systems, and related management information resources
- With the CEO and Senior Management, develop and monitor the agency's Management Information System.
- Develop and oversee annual IT plan, including proposal and implementation of IT updates and replacements
- Manage and oversee IT consultant relationship
HEALTH & SAFETY
- Coordinate and ensure compliance of the agency with BI’s Health and Safety policies and procedures, and practices
- Ensure compliance with and make recommendations regarding Health and Safety laws and regulations
LEADS BY EXAMPLE
- Puts individual interests aside for the greater good of the organization
- Maintains staff enthusiasm and commitment through listening, understanding, and communicating effectively and in a timely manner
- Role models the ability to self-reflect, admit mistakes, and course correct for the benefit of the team and organization
- Initiates and encourages opportunities for staff feedback, coaching, recognition and encouragement while serving as a positive role model
- Seeks out and accepts feedback and is open to conflicting points of view. Is able to aim for excellence in all job tasks while showing grace under pressure
- Is open to others challenging the status quo and considering different points of view while seeking to reach a positive resolution
- Informed of industry and environmental trends and shifts
- Awareness of competition
- Demonstrates measured response to changes
- Broad organizational knowledge
- Demonstrates initiative in shaping and supporting the organizations mission and vision.
- Communicates respectfully and demonstrates empathy through appreciating the perspective of others
- Demonstrates the courage to question potentially unethical actions or behaviors in self and others. Is open and honest in all interactions
- Fiscally prudent
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
CPA, PHR or SPHR preferred
Bachelors Degree in Business Management, Finance, Human Resources or related field.
10+ years combined related experience in Operations or related roles, 5+ years as a top Operations Executive (COO, VP of Operations) or equivalent senior leadership role.
- Human resources law, policies and procedures,
- Financial accounting systems and databases; ability to analyze data, prepare financial reports/statements
- Working knowledge of IT
- Building/facilities management
- Excellent written, verbal, and public speaking skills; and experience with supervising staff.
Strong computer skills including MS Office and G-Suite required. ADP/HRIS experience preferred.
Please submit cover letter and resume, including salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org