Chief Operating Officer / Associate Executive Director
The Arc Westchester is the largest agency in Westchester County supporting children, teens and adults with developmental disabilities, including individuals on the autism spectrum, and their families. With an annual budget of approximately $55million and 850 employees, they provide services to more than 2,000 individuals in 68 locations across Westchester including 44 residences and support 600+ adults working, interning, or volunteering in the community.
The Arc Westchester is headquartered in an impressive building in Hawthorne, NY promoting an atmosphere of pride, dedication, and dignity. The Arc Westchester is led by a dynamic and knowledgeable Executive Director and a team of highly skilled, and experienced, mission driven Senior Directors. The culture is one of respect, innovation, adaptability, and first and foremost, person-centered. As they enter a new era of leadership and transformation in the delivery of services, The Arc Westchester is committed to maintain their ultimate MISSION:To empower children, teens, adults with developmental disabilities, including individuals on the autism spectrum to realize their potential by strengthening families and promoting personal choices and encouraging the discovery of new interests and abilities.
WHAT THE COO CAN EXPECT
The Arc Westchester reflects the best in a workforce that prides itself on expertise and excellence and their senior team is no different. Each department is headed by an experienced subject matter expert. The stability of staff and its low turnover trickles down to the Direct Service Professionals who maintain an above average rate of employee satisfaction and confidence.
The environment is welcoming to both tried and true methods and to new ideas, with a noted sense of aspiration for Operational and Programmatic leadership. The loyalty from the staff is reflective of the Executive Director’s committed approach to strategically align The Arc Westchester with new advocacy, new programs, and continuous building on their already stellar reputation in the county. The COO will have the ability to shape the future for the next decade including personal, and agency wide succession plan. Leaders who wish to enjoy the passionate devotion to the mission, while exercising their talents and integrity will find a true home at The Arc Westchester.
The Associate Executive Director/COO reports to and works closely with the Executive Director in overseeing all operational aspects of the organization. As the Chief Operating Officer of the agency, the Associate Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of all programs and services to supported individuals. The position is responsible to provide the leadership, management and vision to ensure the organization has the proper operational controls, administrative, and resources in place to sustain and grow the programs and to ensure high performance, financial strength and operating efficiency. The COO will have direct responsibility for ensuring the success of Residential and Day Services, Educational Services, Innovations and Community Development Clinical Services, and actively collaborate with Finance, Human Resources, Quality Improvement
and Staff Development.
SPECIFIC DUTIES WILL ALSO INCLUDE
- Demonstrate visionary, highly effective, inspiring leadership by actively guiding and supporting all programs and services and effectively engaging with all program stakeholders.
- Lead a high-performing team of senior staff to the next level by further developing and implementing cutting-edge recruitment, training, retention, and succession planning strategies.
- Oversees the development and monitoring of the organization’s operating budget.
- Works with the Executive Director/CEO on developing and implementing the organization’s strategic plan and related new service initiatives.
- Represents the agency on local, state, and national levels as needed. Participates in fundraising initiatives and work closely with The Arc Foundation staff to expand and extend contributions.
- Participate in advocacy efforts, interpreting, and influencing relevant public policy.
- Assist the Executive Director/CEO in developing partnerships with other service providers.
- Assist in the development of innovative and creative services responsive to the interest and needs of people with developmental disabilities
- Assist in development of new funding streams, public and private.
- Assist in the development of formal connections with local government, businesses and educational entities.
- Serves as the ambassador for all programs and operations and represents the Executive Director in her absence.
- Significant record of accomplishment of 10 years or more in progressive human/health services experience, including clearly demonstrated senior leadership operating multiple services programs.
- Strong relationship builder and communicator with experience leading diverse work teams, developing an organization-wide strategy for program excellence, engaging community partners, and partnering with the CEO, executive team, and Board of Directors.
- Ability to provide tangible examples of excellence in budget management, program analytics, measurement, and evaluation.
- Proven track record of demonstrated integrity, excellence in work, and leading others to new levels of innovation, value, effectiveness, and programmatic impact
- Master’s degree is required in the Human/Health Care Service or related field.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- High energy, enthusiasm and a strong work ethic.
- A collaborator who can blend the expertise and knowledge of various departments towards a central goal
- A driven leader who wants to see a difference and has experience leading teams to excellence
- A true advocate for the I/DD population as well as for the Direct Service Providers
- Thrives on challenges and maintains composure while exercising sound judgement
- Passionate about our mission and the ability to promote and communicate the philosophy, mission, and values of The Arc Westchester to external and internal stakeholders.
- Ability to travel regularly to provide on-site leadership for programs countywide and involvement with state and national stakeholders
- A good listener with strong problem solving skills
- High level of Integrity is a must
- Strong strategic planning and critical thinking skills
To Apply contact:
David Flam, Director, Business Development